Sunday, June 10, 2007

SoXperience 2007 and Magic Loop!


I attended SoXperience yesterday at Carodan Farm in Stanardsville, VA. Not only was the farm beautiful and peaceful, but I met so many interesting ladies! I learned how to do magic loop socks at 9am and proceeded to create a small baby sock using this method. Wow - it's easy. I can't believe I haven't learned this before. There is a disclaimer here though: The baby sock out of worsted was easy. I bought some sock yarn to try out an adult sock which was a bit more difficult using the magic loop method. I started over 2 times. I think I'll stick to worsted for now and move on to sock yarn using #0's or #1's after some success using worsted.

I would highly recommend going to visit Caroline at Carodan. The farm is so serene. She has several little sheep right now and 2-3 llamas which I found to be quite funny. The llamas definately do their job. If you walk up to a sheep, the llama comes running over to you to check things out. I found this to be a hoot for some reason!

Just down the road from Carodan is Rivanna Rivers alpaca farm. I met Dee Dee, the owner. She's a wonderful person who is passionate about her alpaca. She invited me to the farm for a look at the animals. I'm going to take the hubby to see if I can convince him to buy a farm :)

I'll post more photos as soon as I can download them. I did buy some wonderful sock yarn yesterday - 2 skeins made from shrimp and crab shells!

2 comments:

Anne said...

Sounds like you had a GREAT time! I hope you share your knowledge with me. :-) I'll see you at the beanie workshop tonight!
- Anne

Mary said...

Isn't it lovely up there? I went through the same thing when I was there last year -- "I want to move u here!". But then I decided I needed to have a bigger bank account, or else a husband, to do such a move. Fun to fantasize, though!

I didn't realize that Rivannah River Farms was out that way - I have some of their alpaca yarn. Gorgeous stuff. And I always see them at the fiber festivals.