Thursday, December 21, 2006

Prague Day 1

I searched all day and still no yarn store sighting! I typically have a built in radar for yarn! I'm definitely planning to search again tomorrow.

Although Ben & I are both jet lagged, we did manage to muster enough energy to walk around the city today. I took a ton of photos of the architecture, which is just amazing. We walked up to the main castle, across the Charles bridge and through Old Town. The Christmas market in Wenselas square is awesome! There are Christmas trees and lights everywhere. Vendors are selling a lot of touristy wares, hot wine, cider and hot chocolate. We're heading back there tomorrow to buy some Christmas presents.

So far the food has been decent. We had a traditional Czech meal last night. There's not much for me to eat unfortunately. As expected the Czech restaurants tend to serve mostly pork and beef. Beef goulash and dumplings are very popular. I did pass a veggie restaurant today, so I'm going to stop by tomorrow and check it out. The food is reasonably priced, but as we read in many books before our trip, if you don't watch out they'll charge you for anything and everything! Our water last night was close to $9!

Carp is the traditional Christmas Day meal in Prague. It is only served at Christmas (which is good because isn't Carp a goldfish? :) All the street vendors are currently selling carp by the pound. You can stop at one of these vendor stands, pick out your fish from an enormous tub of water and they will kill it right in front of you so that you can take it home fresh. Apparently it's quite tasty. We've both vowed to be brave and try it at Christmas. As they say, when in Rome...

We bought tickets today to a Christmas Day Mass Concert at a beautiful cathedral here. I'm so excited - it should really be amazing.

Ben is off to aikido tonight for a couple of hours. He's taking the metro there and hopefully will not get lost. The metro is quite nice. We bought 7 day passes today. The passes are good for the tram and bus systems as well.

So far we have not had a difficult time finding English speakers. Almost everyone here speaks at least a little English. I've been trying out my Czech. I can say hello, goodbye, thank you, and excuse me. I'm discovering that speaking is not as respected as in France or Germany. Czechs tend to look at you funny even if you say hello in the language. Alas. I've reverted back to pure English, which seems to please everyone :)

A demain...

4 comments:

Sangeeta said...

This Internet thing is pretty darn cool....

nanabear said...

I had no idea this trip involved akido (sp?).
I can't wait to see your pix.

Mary said...

Hey, I just googled "Prague Yarn Shops" and found this blog post that lists three: http://alltangledup.com/movabletype/archives/000847.html

Hope that helps!

Unknown said...

Very interesting blog! I have been to Prague two years ago! And I still remember this beautiful city! Prague is a city of unique and awesome beauty. There a lot of incredible buildings, structures and monuments that span several eras. We found in Prague accommodation, close to historic center!
I want to visit Prague one more time, to refresh my remembrance!